Published:15. 12. 2018
Kumrovec, 15 December 2018 – The FRISCO 2.1 Project – “Cross-Border Harmonized Flood Risk Reduction 2.1 – Structural Measure Vonarje Dam” – intended for the implementation of flood risk reduction measures in the Sutla/Sotla river basin has been presented in Kumrovec. The project is implemented under the Cooperation Programme INTERREG V-A Slovenia – Croatia that represents a framework for cross-border cooperation between Slovenia and Croatia in the financial perspective 2014-2020.
The implementation of the planned FRISCO2.1 project activities – implementation of structural measures and projects and the modernization and upgrade of Vonarje Dam – will ensure the retention of high Sutla/Sotla waters and protection of downstream settlements from floods. The Project has a total value of EUR 1,678,525, of which as much as 85 % is co-financed from the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF), with the remaining 15 % co-financed by the project partners with their own resources. The Slovenian Water Agency is the lead project partner responsible for project management and implementation, with Hrvatske vode acting as a project partner from Croatia.
Vonarje Dam on Sutlansko/Sotlansko Lake lies on the territory of the Municipality of Zagorska Sela, Croatia and the Municipality of Podčetrtek, Slovenia and is the property of both countries.
The existing structure had been built in the late 1970s and was used for water supply, irrigation, and water retention. Due to water pollution caused by the non-existence of a system collecting wastewater from upstream settlements, in the late 1980s its use for water supply stopped. Today its basic purpose is to retain high water waves of the Sutla/Sotla and improve flood protection of downstream settlements.
The foreseen project will include the rehabilitation of the dam’s concrete and metal structures, replacement of worn-out hydro-mechanical equipment and gate operation equipment, replacement and upgrade of electrical installations and equipment, installation of equipment for automatic operation and remote control of gates, and installation of dam monitoring equipment, thus ensuring the safety and functionality of Vonarje Dam in the future. The project started on 1 December 2017 with expected duration of 18 months.
Media releases about this event are on the following links